четверг, 24 мая 2012 г.

Running and Migraines

Running migraineI’ve been told that daily exercise is crucial to preventing migraines but OVER exercising can trigger migraines. Now, add to this the fact that for the years I took Topamax I was unable to sweat. Add further the fact that my neuro insisted that I exercise when I had a severe migraine (now THAT’S a joke). Because of all this, I am so confused about the interaction between exercise and migraine.

The day I took my last Topamax pill, I started this Couch to 5K running plan. This plan is based on time as opposed to distance. When I started, I was only able to run 1 minute intervals at a time, and now, 7 weeks later, I am up to running 27 minutes at a time. 

I’m not sure if I can attribute anything specific to my recent “success,” only one migraine since mid-March. I’ve done a few things:

  • Kept a low tyramine diet (but re-introduced soy, bananas, and avocados in moderation)
  • Switched from vegetarian to vegan (mostly because I found out that I was lactose intolerant)
  • Consumed NO caffeine or alcohol, and
  • Exercised almost every day. 

I have to wonder if exercising daily is part of the reason I’ve felt better? Because this plan is so gradual, I’m not overexerting myself which could lead to a migraine. Ladies, my migraines are always worse during that time of the month, and regular exercise has actually caused that time to be not quite as terrible. I’m also running my first 5K next Sunday - wish me luck!

Have you found that running or regular exercise affects your migraines? What’s your exercise routine? Can you exercise when you have a migraine (I DEFINITELY cannot)?

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий